Sunday 22 April 2012

Weekend trip

I realize there is something missing here.... my 29 week post.  Le sigh, things sort of got away from me this week.  I've noticed that if i don't post by Wednesday, it seems more appropriate to wait until the next week.  I do have 29 week bump pics that I took in Minneapolis on our trip though! I will hopefully be posting my 30 week post tomorrow!

So lets talk about Minneapolis. Our little weekend trip didn't start off amazing...  First it was Friday the 13th. Driving out was rainy and foggy and we sort of may have hit a raccoon.  The Yaris, slightly damaged with cracked bumper, was the only one who probably walked (drove...ha) away from the incident out of the two. We didn't look for the raccoon, but given the bits of fur we found stuck in the cracks, I don't think we would have wanted to.  We continued on to Fargo where we stayed the first night. Looking for our hotel proved to be the next challenge. It was nowhere in sight.  Finally we started comparing addresses and realized ours belonged to an Econolodge, not a Comfort in which we had booked. Upon check-in we were informed that they had just made the switch and had changed the sign a few hours earlier!  Then? we were put in room 213. Several other odd things happened that day too, and even though I am not typically a superstitious person, I was glad when midnight rolled around.

Saturday and the rest of the weekend proved to be much better!  We did the outlet mall in Albertville, Checked into our hotel in Minneapolis (which by the way we got an AMAZING deal on booking with Hotwire) and went to eat at Chevy's for dinner.  This is a chain restaurant but it is fresh mex and very yummy. They even make their own salsa, tortilla's and tortilla chips.  After we both practically rolled out of the restaurant it was off to bed!

Marc with his MASSIVE margarita. This really is to scale. It was almost the size of
 his head. I was a bit jealous, not gonna lie, but most of the time when we go out since
 I have been pregnant he doesn't bother orderinga lchoholic drinks. What a great husband!



Sunday our eating adventure really began when we went to our first of three restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives! this one was called the Colossal cafe and extremely delicious. We even met and chatted with a retired couple with the same idea as us! They said whenever they travel they try to hit up restaurants from DDD's.  In most cases we tried to order what was recommended on the show!


Cheese and herb scone.....mmmmm


Marinated berkshire pork sandwich



Flappers made with yeast topped with Brie, walnuts, apples and honey







We then hit up the Mall of America and Ikea.  I have to say, I think being pregnant actually saved me in the spending money department.  While walking past the endless lovely wearable things for my pre pregnant self was a bit depressing, I probably spent less money. At Ikea we picked up a dresser and night table for our room. Since the husband is being kicked out of his getting ready room for baby, We needed a dresser in our room.  We didn't have one that will fit right with the angles of the room. Right now we have built in drawers besides the closet,  and um I am not really willing to share ;)    We finished the evening off with a trip to the Blue Door Pub, another DDD and tried their yummy burgers.  Basically burgers stuffed with delicious things. 


The Bluecy stuffed with blue cheese and garlic. Yes those are tater tots in the
background.We also tried the beer battered green beans. Very health conscious on this trip :)





Monday we went to Al's breakfast.  It is so small that we actually drove past it.  It is the tiniest narrow building close to the campus in Dinkytown (!??!) that looks like it has been there forever. Super kitschy with only 14 stools at the counter. You basically walk in, and squish yourselves against the wall behind the people eating while you are waiting for a seat. We were smart going on a Monday. We only waited about 15 minutes. I have heard that the wait can be hours!!! I'm glad i wasn't more pregnant because i can tell you that it might have been hard to fit against the wall without bumping someone with my belly! Oh and, no bathroom! is this even allowed???  A pregnant woman's worst nightmare. Thankfully I made it through.







Best. Eggs. Benedict. ever.



The Jose, a house specialty. Poached eggs with cheese over
 hash browns with homemade salsa on the side


See how tiny it is?!



We finished off the trip by going to Trader Joe's on our way out of town. Can I just say how much i LOVE this store!?!  The husband had to pull me away from the cheese aisle.  At one point I said to him, I don't think we have enough snacks. He looked at our cart and said "you're kidding right?" and actually I wasn't.  Its healthy, interesting, inexpensive food and we figured that if we had a Trader Joe's here in Canada, we would spend a third less on groceries!  Likely the prices would be higher here if there was one, so that's why I am banking on Fargo or Grand Forks getting one. I can dream.  

That pretty much was our trip. Eating and shopping! two things I love.  I was hoping to get some good prices at Target on jumbo boxes of diapers that I had priced out but it seemed like these sizes were available only online.  We didn't save very much, but that's ok We're a bit more prepared now. I can say it was very strange walking out of Target with $100 worth of diapers for the first time.  This really was our last road trip together before baby.  I have a feeling these last 10 weeks are going to go by very fast! Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment