Saturday 15 September 2012

Cautiously optimistic

So a big milestone! Teagan has slept through the night for the last 3 nights.  I am pretty happy and cautiously optimistic that this may mean the start of things getting slightly easier with her colic.  She has definitely become very alert and can go longer periods of entertaining herself without crying. The downside to the alertness, however, is that her naps haven't been great, and she gets very overtired quickly, so there are longer periods of me having to constantly try to sooth her. It is a struggle to try to pick up on cues of a colicky baby for when they are getting tired, because sometimes they are just fussing.  So with all of this said, my latest plan of action had been trying to get her down for a nap within 2 hours of her being awake. Sometimes she can't even last that long.  Also I am trying to encourage the development of her morning nap.  I always told myself that I didn't want to be a slave to my baby's schedule, that hopefully when my baby was tired she could just nap wherever and whenever she was tired.  This has proven to be a little harder than I thought given that I have a colicky baby that  cannot self sooth very well.  Ideally i would like her to get to a point where she can have a morning and afternoon nap on a schedule that is not super strict, but for now I am realizing that some structure may be exactly what she needs given the type of baby she is.  She is 3 months old next week and I am crossing my fingers it is the beginning of the end of the worst of the crying!

Teagan is definitely a little character, and her smiles and coos are getting cuter and cuter.  She has recently discovered her hands which I am hoping will soon take the place of our pinky finger being her pacifier!  Oh! and I almost forgot, She rolled over this week! At less than 3 months old!  I told Marc that I think we have a bionic baby. She is sooooo strong, when she is in the change table, she will arch her back and lift it of the table into a bridge pose and you can see her abs! Yikes!  I am seriously scared she will be crawling next month and walking by six months. Ok maybe that might be a slight exaggeration but I really believe that this colic has made her muscles super strong and that she is going to be early with walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment